Last week was a flurry of sewing. We had an 18th century event that was fast approaching, and a client’s project that just would not go together right kept pushing off my personal sewing time. In the end, I did manage to get everyone clothed, even if it meant a severe lack of sleep for a few days.
Now for photos of the fun!
The Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain were in Port Angeles this weekend, fighting a mock battle on the open seas. We attended with a local costuming group and had picnic on the pier during the battle.
I’m on the left, in my new gaulle and a straw hat with some hastily tacked on ribbon. My friend Zoe is on the right, in the new gown that I, bad influence that I am, encouraged her to make the night before. And of course, Zoe’s adorable baby decked out in vintage white gowns.
We unpacked a pretty little picnic, complete with china and silver, and settled down to watch the ships. Chris was offered a spot on board at the last minute, so he rushed off and left the ladies to watch from shore. More sandwiches and tea for us! Based on weather reports, we expect clouds and scattered showers, but it turned out to be a glorious, sunny day.
After tea, we posed for pictures of the new gowns. Me in my gaulle, and Holly in a new jacket and petticoat. The jacket is listed in my laundry list from last week as a polonaise. When we found the fabric, we only had 2 yards and decided to do a jacket. Then I found more fabric online, and we ordered it thinking I would make the polonaise instead. The skirt was assembled and hemmed before I realized that it was the same designer, same manufacturer, and same collection – but from the next year. Very similar, but also very different. There was no way to put the two into the same gown, so we went back to the original plan of a jacket. It took a lot of planning to piece together a peplum and trim from the remaining fabric. Not thinking I needed to be extremely frugal, I hadn’t been, of course. In case we do track down more fabric, I left the back point of the bodice intact, and simply tacked it inside when I added the peplum. I added ruched fabric trim around the neckline, sleeves and peplum, and antique lace flounces at the elbow. Holly got a new hat for the occasion, which was decked out with some scrumptious vintage ribbon.
A closer look at my new frock. The fabric is very light cotton, with a tiny openwork stripe. It is made from fabric I picked up in LA for $2 a pound, then tossed in a pot with Rit color remover. It turned out just right for a light floaty dress. The back is fitted, based on a Regency gown pattern that I lowered the waist on. Two widths of fabric are gathered into the back. The front is a single width of fabric, with bodice and skirt pieces seamed at the waist. The bodice is open at center front, and tied closed with the 3 drawstrings. I originally planned to do some sort of drop front, but was so tired by the time I got to that part that the drawstrings seemed easier. It worked perfectly, so I’ll probably stick with that method for any future chemise dresses. The top hem and waistline seam are drawstring casings; the third casing is formed by a tiny tuck under the bust, with the tucked fabric inside the bodice. I wanted something that was narrow, wouldn’t add bulk when gathered, and wouldn’t show through the fabric. The tuck was the perfect solution. The back and shoulder straps are lined with white muslin. It is worn over my new stays, unbound and unfinished, but wearing them told me what changes I need to make before finishing them. I wore my Regency shift under the stays, and my corded bodice petticoat over, to help muffle the lines of the stays and keep them from showing through. A pink silk taffeta sash and a cameo were my accessories for the day. I intended to have big hair and an even bigger hat, but those will come later. In the meantime, my curly bangs succumbed to the sea breeze and made a brave attempt at frizzing into a hedgehog.
Our friend Chris in the Regency garb I made for him. His 18th century coat is still in pieces, and I wouldn’t let him wear the silk waistcoat in the forecasted rain. Good thing, too, since he not only got to board the ship, but helped the crew manage the sails! He’s wearing a white linen shirt and cravat, with a blue silk waistcoat, black wool breeches trimmed with soutache braid, and a cutaway wool coat, all made from my own patterns. Chris helped research the patterning and sewing, and we both learned a lot. I see several areas I’d like to improve in the next coat, but I dont think I could have seen most of them until he was wearing it. If time allows, I’d love to rework the pattern and make another coat, this time with more hand sewing, possibly in time to submit to the DPP project next February.
We had such a fun time playing in our new clothes. Luckily, there are several more 18th century events coming up so we’ll have plenty of opportunity to wear them again.